Manhattan’s first Episcopal service was held in 1857, just three years after the city’s founding, and St. Paul’s formed in 1858 as the fourth Episcopal Church in Kansas.
Stone work for the building was complete by 1860, and the unfinished church was used for hay storage during the Civil War.
The first service was held in the finished church building in 1867;
Manhattan’s first pipe organ was installed in 1878;
a 1600-pound bell installed in 1884;
and the rectory (now the Encore Shop) was completed in 1909.
St. Paul’s expanded in 1930 to include what is now the choir and chancel, including the beautiful Christ window above the altar.
The 1951 flood left two feet of water in the Common Room and twenty tons of mud in the basement.
The Encore Shop opened its doors c. 1960 and has provided innumerable people with gently used clothing and supplies for nearly sixty years.
Changing times saw the first female senior warden, chalice minister, and acolyte in 1980. Deacon Charles Pearce became St. Paul’s first vocational deacon in 2000, followed by Deacon Sandra Horton-Smith in 2013.
Charles Pearce eventually became the Archdeacon for our diocese.